Girls Incorporated of Washington County is a local affiliate of a national nonprofit youth organization that empowers, educates, and guides girls forward, helping them navigate the challenges in their lives on the way to becoming strong, smart, self-reliant women. Girls Inc. gives girls the right tools and support to succeed, including trained professionals who mentor and guide them in a safe, girls-only environment, peers who share their drive and aspirations, and research-based programming. At Girls Inc., girls learn to set and achieve goals, boldly confront challenges, resist peer pressure, see college as attainable, and explore nontraditional fields such as STEM.
Today, girls continue to encounter significant obstacles to their well-being and success.
1 in 4 girls will not finish high school.
78% of girls are unhappy with their bodies by age 17.
3 in 10 girls will become pregnant before the age of 20.
1 in 5 girls will be a victim of childhood sexual abuse.
We meet these challenges through the Girls Inc. Experience, which helps girls explore and celebrate their strengths, their voices, who they are today, and who they will become. It provides:
- A safe place where girls’ interests, opinions, and concerns are valued by adults and other girls
- Trusting relationships with adult mentors with expertise in issues girls face
- Experiences that broaden girls’ horizons and counter stereotypes
- Curricula built on research that provides age-appropriate knowledge and builds girls’ skills
- Hands-on, challenging, and fun activities that encourage girls to embrace learning
- A consistent presence from elementary through high school that helps girls make positive choices and plan for their futures
Watch Our Girls Inc. video