We are the only after-school program in Washington County designed to meet the unique needs of girls ages 6 to 18.
Today, girls continue to encounter significant obstacles to their well-being and success. Research performed by our national office points out other key data that describe the personal dangers girls face:
1 in 4 girls will not finish high school.
78% of girls are unhappy with their bodies by age 17.
3 in 10 girls will become pregnant before the age of 20.
1 in 5 girls will be a victim of childhood sexual abuse.
We meet these challenges through the Girls Inc. Experience, which helps girls explore and celebrate their strengths, their voices, who they are today, and who they will become. It provides:
- A safe place where girls’ interests, opinions, and concerns are valued by adults and other girls
- Trusting relationships with adult mentors with expertise in issues girls face
- Experiences that broaden girls’ horizons and counter stereotypes
- Curricula built on research that provides age-appropriate knowledge and builds girls’ skills
- Hands-on, challenging, and fun activities that encourage girls to embrace learning
- A consistent presence from elementary through high school that helps girls make positive choices and plan for their futures
What Our Girls Say
"I learned how to be resourceful, to go the limit, and get into college."
"I feel Girls Inc. is one of the biggest supports in my life. The people there have faith and are willing to give me an opportunity I wouldn't have been able to experience. I hope to do the same for someone else."
"I had a great experience at Girls Inc. I learned how to love myself."
Girls Inc. Bill of Rights
Girls have rights. The national Girls Inc. organization created a Girls Bill of Rights as a first step toward defining the rights that belong to all girls.
- Girls have the right to be themselves and to resist gender stereotypes
- Girls have the right to express themselves with originality and enthusiasm
- Girls have the right to take risks, to strive freely, and to take pride in success
- Girls have the right to accept and appreciate their bodies
- Girls have the right to have confidence in themselves and to be safe in the world
- Girls have the right to prepare for interesting work and economic independence